Friday, April 29, 2011

Cultural Conflict: RSVPs & Open Seating

One of the most tormenting task for me has been creating a seating chart for our wedding. The other is getting guests to RSVP. Both are relatively foreign notions to most of our Cambodian guests. So I have resigned myself to the fact that most of our elderly guests will not RSVP. I can accept this as RSVP is not the norm. However, I can't figure out why my friends - mostly my age have not RSVP yet. I had to send messages, texts and make a few phone calls. It is a bit annoying as the deadline date gets closer. I don't want to assume no response is a no show.

As for my plans for open seating - it makes me a bit nervous. I find this type of seating arrangement to be unorganized and somewhat chaotic. However this is the norm at Cambodian weddings. On the other hand, it is often helpful to design a seating chart that assigns tables but allows individual guests to decide. This works well with guests who know each other and are assign to the same table where they can intermingle freely. We have decided to mark a few tables "Reserve" for these guests and the rest is free style - open seating. Wedding Seating Etiquette differs from culture to culture but being able to find a compromise that is both practical and respectful is always important.


4 comments:

Sami said...

Hello Moni,
My name's Sami, I'm an Cambodian-American from the PNW and I accidently came across your blog while looking for resources on Cambodian. Do you have any information on where I can buy traditional dresses for myself and my bridesmaids? I would very much appreciate your help. Thank you

Moni said...

Hello Sami,

What does PNW stand for? I am not aware of any online shop or boutique that will allow you to buy the dresses as they are very expensive which is why most brides rent the dresses. Some of the less elaborate dresses may cost only a couple hundred dollars. Some brides had relatives bring them from Cambodia. I am not sure if this is an option for you. There are Traditional Thai garments available online like RamThai.com that custom make very dresses similar to their Cambodian counterparts. Bridesmaids can wear simple lace shirts and silk skirts that are traditionally worn to the temples.

Sami said...

No prob PNW stands for Pacific North West. Do you know roughly how much is very expensive is? My price cap is $1000. I have options here, but they are mostly from word of mouth. Like my mom knows a cousin whose neighbor, and so-on. I'm just looking for someone reliable and with great credentials. Will definitely not buy from the Thai but thank you, I know that their gowns are similar. If my parents found out i bought a Thai dress for a Cambodian wedding they would kill me. I would very much like to support my country. I actually found an awesome tailor at mitportrait.com. Unfortunately they are in Massachusetts. Anyhow thank you very much for your help Moni!!!!

Moni said...

I am from MA/R.I area and I am familiar with the tailor you mention above but they do not create the Traditional Cambodian wedding outfits from scratch. Most of the clothes on their website is imported from Cambodia. They will create custom design party (formal) dresses for a great price but not bridal. My mom's friend is renting us the garments. I chose two outfits for myself and my groom while the bridal party will wear one outfit. The rental cost is $200. We received a discount because the woman is my mom's friend. Most rentals in my area cost between $700-$1,500 (depending on how many outfits) but does include hair and make up. I don't know how many outfits you want or how many people are in your bridal party. There is one bride who had her outfits custom made in Cambodia who considered selling her wedding clothes. She also wanted to sell me accessories too. Let me see if I can contact her for you. If you have anymore questions, you can contact me at Jaydafyre@gmail.com