Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tying the Knot: Budget Breakdown


I was never planning on doing this post. But after getting a few requests, I decided to share the nitty-gritty details of our budget. This post is an ode to my good work- my hours and hours of hunting for the best vendors and feeling like we really did spend our money well.

That said, here is a fairly accurate estimate of all the gory details. I did round up the numbers since I did not include what we gave in tips. This was a Newport wedding for close to 200 guests (178 lovely people showed up)We are incredibly thankful for all of the monetary gifts we received from our friends and family. They were so very generous.

Venue: $2,000
Damage Deposit: $200
Insurance/Host Liquor License: $175 (required by our venue)

Photography: $3,250
Video:$1350

Band: $1500

Catering (Cocktail & Reception):$7060
Catering Rentals:$484.00
Bar Expense: $500 (Bar tending service fee plus all the fixings)
Alcohol: $1100 (we hosted an open bar but bought our own alcohol)
Dessert Bar:$450

Officiant/Monks: $100
Cambodian Ceremony Food & Drinks: $250
Cambodian Wedding Clothes Rental: $200 ( The hubby and I only wore TWO outfits and my bridal party wore 1)

Day of Coordinator: $750

Invitations: $275
Save the Dates: $45

Flowers & Non-Floral Centerpiece:$852
Decor: $229
Linens:$375
Misc. items: $189.00

Wedding Dress & Alterations:$528

Bridal Beauty:$580 (I also paid to have my sister and my MOH and BM have their make up done professionally)

Bridal Accessories: $191 (including two veils, two pairs of shoes and a custom couture hair accessory)

Groom & Groomsmen attire/accessories:$512

Transportation:$206

All in all, not too shabby considering we got what we wanted and our day was beautiful and memorable. We did go over budget by a few grand which means I didn't stick to the budget but in the end, we both felt it was worth every penny. The average cost of a wedding varies from state to state. It is actually very expensive to get married in R.I (MA even higher). The national average is $26,542 so we are under by a bit. If you want to find out more about wedding costs in your area, check out the link below. G.L and happy planning!

Cost of Wedding

15 comments:

Motes414 said...

Thanks for sharing this Moni!

Anonymous said...

Love your wedding blog. Who did you use for transportation?

Moni said...

We did not use a limo company for transportation although our DOC did drive us to our hotel from our venue using our rental vehicle through Hertz, a black Chevy Tahoe. Our bridesmaids and groomsmen accompanied us in the vehicle to the venue (after everyone met at my parent's home for the Cambodian ceremony)A family friend and the best men were the designated drivers to the venue. At the end of the night, they went home or to the hotel with mutual loves one. I should make a note that the rental was for TWO days as we also used it to bring home wedding decor and to return some of the rentals. It was one way for us to save money.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! Where did you rent the tradtional outfits? Were they from Rhode Island?

Moni said...

I rented them from a family friend in Fall River but there are a few rentals available in Providence too. Let me know if you would like contact info.

Sarah said...

Hi Moni,
I just booked my wedding at Easton's Beach for next August. Thanks for posting so many details about your wedding and the budget...it made it easy to understand the true cost of the Rotunda and what we will need to provide!

Would you recommend the DOC you used? If so, would you mind sharing his/her name and contact info?

Thanks!

Moni said...

Hi Sarah,

We used Gracie Lou Events for DOC services. Unfortunately they no longer offer that service. However, there are many reputable and budget friendly DOC services available. You can contact me directly at Jaydafyre@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Moni,

Would you mind providing me with the rentals in Providence for the outfits? Ive been searching and is having no luck. You can contact me at chanthea_chin@yahoo.com. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Moni,

Thank you so much for sharing! I am deciding whether to have my wedding at Easton Beach but am concerned there isn't enough space. I saw that you had about 178 people with a band, did you have any trouble fitting everyone in the cocktail hour deck area or having enough dancing space with tables and the band? Also out of curiosity, did you have a rain plan? And did you find it necessary to have a day of coordinator?

Thank you!!!

Kate

Unknown said...

Hi Moni,

I'm trying to decide if I should have my wedding at Easton Beach but am concerned it will be too small. I saw you had about 178 people with a band, did you have any trouble fitting everyone in the cocktail reception area or having enough dance floor space?

Thanks!

Kate

Moni said...

Hi Kate, there was ample space for my guests to dine and dance the night away. We had cocktail hour out on the deck surrounding the carousel. Our rain plan was to have cocktail hour inside near the entry way. We had it buffet style so the long tables were set up with food and people self served. I hired a DOC because I had a big wedding and there were multiple parts to our wedding day including a Traditional Cambodian ceremony and the Western ceremony on the beach. I also planned the wedding down to the details with quite a few DIY projects so I wanted everything to be executed perfectly. My DOC was the second best investment (after my photographers) because they gave me complete peace of mind. They did everything from bringing my bridal party coffee to picking up my bouquet (because I forgot it at home)They all handled all of the final payments and did everything in between. I recommend it if you want a stress free evening.

Unknown said...

Hi Moni! Wondering if you could provide info on the outfit rentals? Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

Hi Moni! Wondering if you could provide info on the outfit rentals? Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

I'd like to tell you that you're a great blogger. Your post is amazing! I don't understand why you were not planning on the publishing of this article. Best regards, online paper writers!

Weapon_of_Faith said...

Hello Moni, Can you provide the information necessary for the clothing rental? My email is Samuels_regina@yahoo.com.

Thank you!