Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Cultural Affair

Is it me or is there a lack of diversity on wedding websites? There doesn't seem to be too many inspiration boards or weddings that celebrate multi-ethnicity, culture and global style for the modern bride. I mean who doesn't love the sensual and robust colors of a Mexican wedding, the tranquil elements of a Zen inspired Japanese ceremony, and the unique traditions of a South African wedding? I know I'm not the only bride out there who craves color and ethnic flavor. And what I really want to see is more articles dedicated to planning a wedding that blends traditions in original ways to personalize the day. I mean it is hard enough to plan a wedding with one set of traditions, imagine having to incorporate two sets? So it would be wonderful to get more insight into the whole planning process because as an Asian American bride, more specifically Cambodian-Chinese, I find it challenging to plan a wedding when I have certain questions about wording my bi-lingual invites or need help finding specialty vendors. I also hope wedding websites like Style Me Pretty will feature more global inspiration. Maybe tread away from the land of Laura Ashley and take a trip to Culture Planet.

3 comments:

Sprout said...

Sounds like you need to create something like the multi-cultural version of Off Beat Bride! I'm surprised no one has filled this niche, this being America and all, where we are blessed so much diversity.

chanta said...

yeah man! there's lots of info on chinese weddings. the knot has a decent section. but definitely no info on southeast asian weddings.

Anonymous said...

hi! i'm cambodian-chinese and i had a multicultural wedding 2 years ago. you can email me if you like!

boksil.kim (at) gmail.com