Saturday, August 21, 2010

Dress Dilemma

Yesterday, I attended Filene's Basement ROTB with my entourage. We had little success in the beginning as most of the nicer dresses were in piles on the floor or being hogged by brides who made the early bird arrival at 8 am. Well after 3 hours of trying on so-so gowns, I was able to accumulate a good number of really nice dresses through trades and the sharp eye of my girls. I fell in love with two particular dresses, both traditional styles and not at all what I thought I wanted since I was looking for something more modern yet still romantic. My final pick was a gorgeous all lace off white gown by Pronovias. Her name is Romina and she is two sizes too big for me and way too long but her soft delicate fabrics and sweeping train had me wrapped in rapture. I am not sure Romina is really for me but I am going to take her to the seamstress to see if she can be resized for petite-me. I am afraid to lose the beautiful lace details at the bottom of the dress if it needs to be hemmed. If not, my inexpensive purchase of a designer gown was still worth the experience of going to ROTB. I will probably sell the dress if alterations don't work out and have a dress custom made instead. Now this brings me to another dilemma. The dress I initially fell in love with was a Tara Keely gown which was not available at the bridal shop I visited (that carries the designer line). I tried on a very similar dress but can I really have this gown made without actually trying on the dress? I am not sure. I never thought finding a dress would be this challenging. I watch, Say Yes to the Dress and think about how silly those girls are because they are so indecisive and I am really not like that at all. Well I learned that choosing a dress is really an emotional decision because the wedding dress is a reflection of the bride's style and personality. It is really what defines her on that day.

Romina

1 comment:

Lian said...

Glad to hear you got a dress! We saw so many piles of dresses all over the floor. It's definitely a fun experience though. I heard ROTB again in February 2011?