Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Open Bar

I knew that taming the budget beast meant we had to cut back on certain things like flowers and taking on DIY projects (invites) but one thing we could not trim was the alcohol or at least we tried. Our guests like to drink and they really like - no, LOVE cognac. Well, Hennessey VSOP to be precise but we can't afford to have a bottle on every table. So we will compensate with open bar on beer and cocktails. A limited service on cognac and champagne. A good bottle of bubbly is pricey but I don't want to serve the cheap stuff either. However, we are very fortunate that our venue does allow us to bring in our own alcohol so that will save us some pretty pennies but since our caterer does not have a liquor license, we need to find a professional bar tending service. Finding this service for a reasonable price is nonexistent in Newport. I know, I know...I choose to host our wedding in this ultra expensive city so now I must suffer or in this case my wallet cries poor. The alcohol alone is a little over our $1,000 budget. We are getting beer kegs to save money and waste (no bottles/cans) and serving limited cognac and champagne. No wine - as the complex layers of flavors in Asian cuisine doesn't always pair well with every dish in a 7-10 course meal. Don't fret too much though as there will be plenty of beer and top shelf/premium liquor. Thanks in part to our neighbors up north, New Hampshire. But we still need quality bar tenders to service guests. So my hunt continues. We still have ample amount of time to buy alcohol and to find a pro bar tending service but I'd like to get as much planning done before I resume school in the Fall (next month). We are going to visit Maine (to see my granny and the rest of the family yay!) and on the way back swing by the New Hampshire liquor stores to check out the inventory and maybe stock up on alcohol. Sounds like a plan!

Possible Beer selection
- Sam Adams Boston Lager
- Blue Moon Belgian Ale or Honey Moon (Summer Ale)
- Miller Lite
- Bud Lite
- Heineken

No comments: